Curse of the Chupacabra

Monday, July 15, 2013

Book Review: Odd Thomas


(3 of 5 Stars) As suggested in the title to meet "Odd Thomas", the primary focus of this book is on the lead character, Odd, and everything he has in his life: his friends, his family, Pico Mundo, and an unique gift, which happens to reveal the looming horror of an upcoming event of tragic proportions. 

Focusing so intently on the day in the life of Odd and journeying with him as he visits friend then family then friend while slowly attempting to solve a potentially apocalyptic mystery (at least for the town of Pico Mundo) made it difficult for me to get involved with this story. Although the ending was satisfactory, this book moved too slow paced for my liking, and unfortunately, did not quite pique my interest to move on with this series, which I was really looking forward to spending a lot of my time on.

Having said that, I am a fan of Dean Koontz and of the handful of books of his I have read, I would highly suggest, Lightning.  I was obsessed with this book back in the late 1980's--the first and last time I read the novel.  I do not remember enough about the book to write a review, but I do remember my overall feeling of never being able to put the book down and wishing it had been as lengthy as War and Peace.

2 comments:

  1. "War & Peace"...Or King's "The Stand?" LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose King's "The Stand," as long as it's the unabridged version. ;)

    ReplyDelete

BORN IN BLOOD

Born in Blood by Kate Paulk. $1.99 from Smashwords.com
Vlad Dracul, known later in life as Vlad the Impaler, suffered more than any should at the hands of Mehmed, son of Sultan Murad. Of all the pain and indignities brought upon him at the behest of the future ruler of the Ottoman Empire, the curse was the worst. All the young Vlad can do is try to survive and plot his vengeance.