Curse of the Chupacabra

Monday, July 4, 2011

I Can't Get 'Drink Up Me Hearties, Yo Ho' Out Of My Head!

I'm a geek, there's no denying that; however, I like to refer to myself as more of a "closeted" geek so I can try to retain some coolness.  Whether it works or not, I guess that's in the eye of the beholder.

I wanted to start a new series that showcases a song or piece of music that refuses to leave my head, whether I like it or not, and call it, "I Can't Get This Song Out Of My Head!"  What is the purpose of this you ask?  Well, let's face it, when a song gets stuck in your head, it's basically a subconscious form of obsession, and My Little Obsessions is all about sharing.

Now, it is my intention to showcase songs and music that I am obsessed about but let's face it, not all songs that get stuck in your head are enjoyable.  You gotta take the good with the bad, people.

So, on that note, it is with great pride that the music that has been stuck in my head has not only been stuck there for the last couple of days, but on and off for the last four years, ever since the soundtrack was released with the movie.  I suppose it helps to get a song stuck in your head when you replay it over and over and over again.

So without further dealy (and this is where the geek in me comes out) that I share with you an instrumental piece that I have been obsessing over since Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End was released.  I actually have many tracks from this album that I repeatedly play, but the one I am sharing is the End Credits track called, "Drink Up Me Hearties Yo Ho".  I probably listen to this piece of score the most often because it samples all the fantastic themes and melodies of the series and then arranges them in an exciting and flawless format.

Hans Zimmer is the composer of this score and overall, I like his work, but he's no John Williams, who is yet another obsession of mine.  However!, the third Pirates score is probably my second favorite score of all-time, right behind the soundtrack for "The Empire Strikes Back".

So give it a listen.  Maybe it'll get stuck in your head, maybe not.  Maybe you'll like it as much as I do, probably not.  In any case, this is a piece of music that I hope does not leave my head any time soon.

And of note, this will probably NOT be the only music I post from this soundtrack franchise. Ye be warned!


No comments:

Post a Comment

BORN IN BLOOD

Born in Blood by Kate Paulk. $1.99 from Smashwords.com
Vlad Dracul, known later in life as Vlad the Impaler, suffered more than any should at the hands of Mehmed, son of Sultan Murad. Of all the pain and indignities brought upon him at the behest of the future ruler of the Ottoman Empire, the curse was the worst. All the young Vlad can do is try to survive and plot his vengeance.