Curse of the Chupacabra

Thursday, August 11, 2011

I Can't Get 'Hey, Jude' Out Of My Head!



The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?

I think that question is about as age old as "Connery or Moore" (which is now a defunct question), but only proves that it has withstood the test of time. I, myself, don't remember ever being asked to choose between the two groups, so I will state my answer without being asked... The Beatles; not by a landslide, but... The Beatles.

And the reason why I would choose The Beatles is because I get far more of their songs stuck in my head than the Stones (or any other band for that matter); everything from Eleanor Rigby to Help! to Back in the U.S.S.R.  How could I not love an inspirational rock band with at least 12 #1 albums throughout the 1960's?  Additionally, I'm not an American Idol fan, but I know they've had weeks dedicated to The Beatles, which helps keep the "before their time" music alive and well with today's rap-crap generation. 

But this one particular song has been repeatedly stuck in my head, off an on, for the last twenty plus years and happens to be stuck in my head as of this post. Yay!  'Hey, Jude' which is actually a B-side song to the same titled album, was originally written by Paul McCartney for John Lennon's son, Julian "Jules" when his parents were getting a divorce and it was called, 'Hey, Jules'.  John later adapted the song and changed "Jules" to "Jude", which is the single we all know and love today.

Although I was already a fan of the song long before college, I learned this little tidbit during my History of Rock n' Roll class at Orange Coast College and remember it well because I had also been reading Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger (book one), and remember vividly The Gunslinger walking into a old western town while hearing 'Hey, Jude' being pounded out on the distant piano keys. I know, wrong time period, but that's the how that book series works.

Anyway, love 'Hey, Jude', love The Beatles and love the song when it gets stuck in my head.  Now that I've hopefully got the song stuck in your head too, go listen to some Beatles, if not, have a listen from atop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BORN IN BLOOD

Born in Blood by Kate Paulk. $1.99 from Smashwords.com
Vlad Dracul, known later in life as Vlad the Impaler, suffered more than any should at the hands of Mehmed, son of Sultan Murad. Of all the pain and indignities brought upon him at the behest of the future ruler of the Ottoman Empire, the curse was the worst. All the young Vlad can do is try to survive and plot his vengeance.