Curse of the Chupacabra

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

An Unlikely Obsession: Cranberry Sauce




It truly is the most wonderful time of the year and has been for more than a month as we are in the middle of three of my favorite holidays, lined up, back-to-back-to-back.  Last year, I posted ramblings on Halloween and Christmas, bypassing a holiday that is just equally as great:  Thanksgiving.  How can you not love a day dedicated to food?!  And some of us even take it a step further by stuffing (pun intended) ourselves miserably where all we want to do is fall asleep in front of the television, waking up when the pies and cakes are brought to the table, and then proceed to gorge ourselves to a point where we'll regret it the next day.  I LOVE Thanksgiving!  However, there is one draw back… cranberry sauce.

I can't say I'm a fan.  Granted, while growing up, the only kind was ever served was that blood-colored gelatinous goop from the can.  It took some time, but I was eventually able to imagine that it was not part of the feast but a holiday decoration - like a centerpiece (however I did make an exception the next day when using it as spread on my leftover sandwiches but that's not the point.)  Once my childhood Thanksgiving traditions shifted to another side of the family in adulthood, it was only then that I was introduced to cranberry sauce not made by Oceanspray, which is what I want to share by taking something I like least about a great holiday and turning it on its ear.

The cranberry sauce I had been introduced to (and admittedly did not try the first few adult Thanksgivings) was completely homemade and now one of the highlights of my holiday.  So if you're like me and can't stand that jell-o sauce still able to hold the shape of the can after its been on a plate for hours, or even if you are a fan of that crap but are open to trying something new and fresh, or if anyone is just in need of a good cranberry sauce recipe, I would like to share the yummiest one I know; and when better to share a recipe than on a foodie holiday?


Make according to package directions (usually 12 oz. berries, 1. c. water, 1 c. sugar) - When cooled a bit, add:

1 c. chopped walnut pieces
1 grated lemon rind
1 grated orange rind
1-2 small cans mandarin oranges without juice
8 ½ oz. CRUSHED pineapple with juice
A few squeezes lemon juice (until not cloyingly sweet)

Let it sit.

You can double or triple the recipe, if needed.


Bon appétit, and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BORN IN BLOOD

Born in Blood by Kate Paulk. $1.99 from Smashwords.com
Vlad Dracul, known later in life as Vlad the Impaler, suffered more than any should at the hands of Mehmed, son of Sultan Murad. Of all the pain and indignities brought upon him at the behest of the future ruler of the Ottoman Empire, the curse was the worst. All the young Vlad can do is try to survive and plot his vengeance.